Monday, August 23, 2010

I’m a true New Yorker!

I heard somewhere that you can’t call yourself a real New Yorker unless you have lived in the city for more than 10 years. Well, I have only lived here for 5 years but an incident this past weekend has me questioning that theory.

I was headed out to a very causal wedding in Pennsylvania so I tossed on a fun polka dot dress, a pair of heels and a black chain link strap bag. I drove my car to PA and had offered to drive home a girl I had never met. I was going to ask the bride who she was so that she could put her bags in my car before we ate. Before I could get over to her, a girl approached me.

She said my name and I looked at her funny. She told me she thought that she knew who I was before she even asked the bride. I was confused and she went on to say that “You are very New York City with your high heels, dress and Vera Wang bag!”



I laughed and looked around at all the other guests. Everyone was dressed much more causally that I was. No one was wearing heels and everyone looked relaxed including the bride in her sundress and flip-flops.

I stuck out like a sore thumb as a trendy, stereotypical NYC girl! Although I’m not sure if that is a good thing but it was pretty cool to be recognized as a real NYC girl!

No comments: