Thursday, July 28, 2005

Organization

My apartment is big for NYC standards and I have a half bathroom all to myself.One wall is completely filled with a mirrors and the other has a towel rack. There is no real place to put a medicine cabinet or a standing cart. I chose to do something organizational. This is a huge step for me and I knew that I would be opening a new chapter on my life called "Organized Bean"!

My whole life I have lived in what I like to call an Organized Mess. This means that I know where everything is but no one else does and it appears to outsiders that it is a disaster.

There is a fabulous store in Manhattan called The Container Store. This place could organize a dump! There are gadgets and boxes and shelves for every kind of place you could want to organize.

So my first visit to the store was for something to organize my under the sink medicine cabinet. I quickly found what they call shoes boxes, which are clear boxes, that I decided would be perfect for stacking and filling with all my bottles of random lotions and soaps. I got them in a few sizes and hoped they would all fit. Happily, I carried my boxes home and sat on the floor in my bathroom and emptied out under the sink. This was not an organized mess. It was a plain mess.

After about a half hour, I had a beautifully organized cabinet. Yes, I understand that this is lame and very dumb but important to me in my new life.

My next project was to find an organizational tray for the keyboard draw on my desk. Another strange item. I ended up back at The Container Store where a girl named Myka gave me a choice of about 20 or so storage items that I could potentially use. I finally settled on a silverware tray that was perfect for what I needed and on clearance!

So now my room and bathroom are organized (slightly) thanks to the cool people that come up with great ideas at The Container Store.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like something you should have done sooner but its great to see you are becoming organizeed in your new life Its reassuring to see that people can change